April ~ November
Price: ¥ 14,000 above
For foreign visitors, please note that coasters cannot be taken home with you as they may violate customs regulations. They will be presented to local elementary schools in Nagiso Town by the Nagiso Tourism Association and be used to promote children’s understanding of local traditions and cultures. You will receive a small gift made locally in Nagiso in exchange!
- This program starts with a visit to the workshop, run by the Araragi Hinoki Hat Production Cooperative, where the thin strips of
hinoki are produced. A representative of the cooperative will also share the history of Araragi Hinoki Hats as well as the group’s
struggles to preserve the craft.
- You’ll make coasters with thin strips of hinoki. The coasters you make will be presented to local elementary schools in Nagiso
Town. They’ll be used to promote children’s understanding of local traditions and culture.
- You’ll receive a small gift made locally in Nagiso, such as up-cycled pouches made of kimono fabric, or locally hand-made washi
postcards from Tadachi, where locals are also struggling to preserve their traditional crafts.
Nagiso Town, at the southern end of the Kiso Valley is home to Tsumago-juku Post Town, one of the most beautiful and popular post towns of the Nakasendo. About 93% of the town is forest and it has long been known as a place of high-quality timber. Of all of the wood produced in the area, one tree stands out: hinoki cypress trees from Kiso, commonly known as “Kiso hinoki” are especially famous within Japan.
Cone-shaped hats weaved out of Kiso hinoki have been made in the Araragi area of Nagiso Town for the past 300 years. This local traditional craft has been passed on through generations. This experience offers you an opportunity to learn about the history of the craft and to try out the techniques. It takes place at a workshop run by the Araragi Hinoki Hat Production Cooperative, where Araragi hinoki hats are still produced to this day. You will weave a coaster using the scraps and off-cuts from Araragi hinoki hat production.
Araragi cypress hats are crafted using thin strips of hinoki. Because of their beautiful stitches, breathability, and water resistance, the hats were widely purchased by travelers and farmers in oldern times. It is said that several hundred thousand of them were produced annually in the 16th century. During their peak, from the late 18th century to the early 19th century, their annual production was said to have reached a million.
The demand for the hats, though, has decreased due to the changing of the times. The future of the craft and its traditional techniques are now threatened. This program is guided by members of the Araragi Hinoki Hat Production Cooperative and Hinokigasa-no-Ie, the Hinoki Hat House, who devote themselves to passing on this tradition to future generations!
- Even those with limited physical fitness abilities will have no problem participating.
- The guide from Hinokigasa-no-ie will be on hand to offer careful instruction, so beginners may participate with no problem.
Price Per Person
Clothing/Wha to bring
- Comfortable clothing
Included in the fee
- Japanese guide fee
- English-speaking guide fee
- Experience fee
Not included in the fee
- Transportation to/from the meeting point
- Insurance (please purchase travel insurance in your own country) Anything else not specified (The bank transaction fee shall be covered by the customer.)
About 4 hours
Distance / Elevation
Age / Height:
April ~ November
5 – 8 people
30 days in advance
Nagiso Town Tourism Association
Gift for you
You will receive a small gift made locally in Nagiso, such as up-cycled pouches made of kimono fabric, or locally hand-made washi postcards from Tadachi, where locals are also struggling to preserve their traditional crafts. Your gifts will be selected by the local staff of Nagiso Tourism Association.
|Between 10:00 ~ 14:00
(Your itinerary can be arranged
according to your request)
■ Fees in case of cancellation on behalf of the customer
- 7 days to 2 days prior to the reserved date: 25%
- One day prior to the reserved date: 50%
- On the day of the reserved date & No-show: 100%.
■ Cancellation at the discretion of the organizer
- In case of inclement weather, we will make a decision the previous day and notify you only if the program has been cancelled.
- If the tour is cancelled on the day of the tour prior to the start of the program, nocancellation fee will be charged.
- Depending on the weather conditions once the tour begins, the route may be changed or the tour may be cancelled. No refunds will be given in this case.
Interested in our tour?
No second thoughts, contact us.
We have been having many requests from agents overseas, mentioning that they are trying to expand their destinations in/to Japan or they have already but need help creating the itineraries for their clients to keep up with the demand.
Heartland Japan has increased the number of staff to accommodate these requests. If you are hand-full and need some advice, we are here to help.
For more information about this experience program, We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program. We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program and provide the program to you.
Please contact us for more information. We look forward to providing you with a unique and immersive experience in the region!
For this experience program, please inquire with our company each time. We will coordinate with local suppliers to arrange the schedule, fees, and detailed content for you. Please start by contacting us.
Look forward to a unique, immersive local experience!