April ~ October
Price: ¥ 22,000 above
- Great for those looking to experience an “unknown route” just a step away from Kiso.
- Experience the hinoki cypress forest path, historical milestone markers, Hayagrīva stones, tiny villages, an original post town and more.
- A nice balance of cycling and walking to fully experience the rural sights of Japan’s forested mountain areas.
- Lunch is a soup set, full of local ingredients, served fresh from a kitchen car.
- Breaks for coffee, tea and local snacks.
The path out of the Kiso Valley to Okaya, via the Ushikubi Pass, the Ina Valley and the Ono Pass, was the original Nakasendo. The path was initially cleared in 1601, but due to the difficulty of travelling two mountain passes, it closed after just 15 years was was spurned in favour of the current Nakasendo. In its heyday, many travelers and horses traversed this path, carrying wood from Kiso to Ina, and rice from Ina to Kiso. Now, traces of the path are scarce and it is known by only a handful of people. This 1 day e-bike tour allows you to indulge in the history and romance of the original Nakasendo. It starts at Narai-juku in Kiso, goes over the Ushikubi Pass, then to Ono-juku, Okaya (the end point of the original Nakasendo) and finally returns to Tatsuno Town in the Ina Valley. The journey is lead by a Tatsuno local, Ryohei Oguchi, a round-the-world cyclist.
- The route is a long ride with climbs and descents. Participants will need a good level of fitness and endurance
- Some cycling experience is necessary.
Clothing/What to Bring
- Clothing and shoes you can move in
- Rain gear (full set recommended)
- Soft drink (about 1 liter)
- Snack (optional)
This was an enjoyable tour from beginning to end. The guide was very friendly, which was a great bonus!
Price Per Person
26,000JPY/person for 4ppl
25,000JPY/person for 5ppl
24,000JPY/person for 6ppl
23,000/person for 7ppl
22,000JPY/person for 8~10ppl
Included in the fee
- Guide fee
- Translator fee
- Hot coffee/tea with local snacks
Not included in the fee
- Transportation to/from the meeting point.
- e-bike rental (rental fee 5,000JPY/per person).
- Insurance (please purchase travel insurance in your own country).
- Anything else not specified.
(The bank transaction fee shall be covered by the customer.)
About 7.5 hours
Distance / Elevation
Elevation Climb: 740m
Age / Height:
Narai Kiso-no-Ohashi Michi no Eki (Roadside Station)
(3 minutes’ walk from JR Narai Station on JR Chuohonsen Line)
GRAV BICYCLE STATION
(7 minutes’ walk to JR Tatsuno Station on JR Iida Line)
April ~ October
4 – 10 people
14 days in advance
|Meet at Narai Kiso-no-Ohashi Michi no Eki (Roadside Station)
|Briefing, start riding
|Ride (Narai-juku ~ Ushikubi Pass ~ Ushikubi Pass Top approach)
|Lunch at Yahiko Shrine
|Ride (Yahiko Shrine ~ Ono-juku)
|Ride (Sangun no tsuji ~ Ono Pass ~ Misawa Milestone)
|Ride (Misawa MileStone ~ GRAV BICYCLE STATION)
|Finish at GRAV BICYCLE STATION (Tatsuno Town)
■ Cancelation by the participant
- 8 to 20 days prior 20%
- 2 to 7 days prior 30%
- Day before 40%
- Same day/No show 100%
■ Cancelation based on provider’s decisions
- In the case of stormy or freezing weather, departure cancelation will be determined the day before and contact will be made ONLY IF the tour is canceled. In the case that the activity is canceled due to unforeseen circumstances, no cancellation fee is required.
- In the case of light rain, the tour will go ahead with waterproof gear.
- After the tour begins, depending on the weather, we may have to change the route or cancel the tour. In this case, no refund will be given.
- If the tour cannot continue after it has started due to bad weather, no refunds will be given.
- If you need your luggage transferred from Narai-juku, please consult (shipping fees will apply)
Interested in our tour?
No second thoughts, contact us.
We have been having many requests from agents overseas, mentioning that they are trying to expand their destinations in/to Japan or they have already but need help creating the itineraries for their clients to keep up with the demand.
Heartland Japan has increased the number of staff to accommodate these requests. If you are hand-full and need some advice, we are here to help.
For more information about this experience program, We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program. We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program and provide the program to you.
Please contact us for more information. We look forward to providing you with a unique and immersive experience in the region!
For this experience program, please inquire with our company each time. We will coordinate with local suppliers to arrange the schedule, fees, and detailed content for you. Please start by contacting us.
Look forward to a unique, immersive local experience!