Price: ¥ 13,800 above
- Recommended for those looking for destinations rarely found in guidebooks!
- Walk through the tranquil community of Hiramaru, guided by the members of the Preservation Committee.
- Make a wreath from suge-grass. Write a wish in your wreath and pray at a local temple. Your wreath will be burned during an annual ritual called Saino-kawara, so your wish may come true.
- During the experience there will be plenty of time to interact with the organization members.
Myoko, known for its incredibly heavy snowfall, is also home to an amazing traditional handcraft. Sedge (hereby referred to as suge-grass), is a grassy variety of plant that grows well in wet areas. Nestled deep in the mountains of Myoko, inhabitants of the Hiramaru region have a long history of weaving suge-grass into a variety of items such as hats and winter clothes. The craft was once an important source of income for the locals. However, Japan’s post-war industrialization and the introduction of synthetic fabrics pushed traditional, labor-intensive crafts such as suge-grass weaving close to extinction. It was at this point that Hiramaru locals began selling ornamental horses that had been woven from suge-grass. Despite struggles, their idea eventually became a success. Various ornaments, such as the animals of the zodiac, became popular. However, in more recent years, the craft has again become in danger of dying out due to the ageing of local craftsmen and changes to society as a whole. The Hiramaru Sugezaiku Preservation Committee is an NPO that was created to preserve this tradition for future generations. Through this organization, visitors can now experience the charm of the village and craft for themselves. Take a guided walk through the tranquil village of Miyama, and try making wreaths from suge-grass yourself in this immersive, truly local experience.
- The program requires walking for 105 minutes in total, including many slopes, and stairs at the temple, so please watch your step!
- Making wreaths requires a little dexterity of the fingers, but the guide will help you with all the steps.
Hirumaru suge-grass art is fascinating and unique. The history of it was also very interesting.
Price Per Person
Clothing/Wha to bring
- Comfortable clothing (Skirts not allowed)
Included in the fee
- Guide fee
- Translator fees
- Wreath craft activity
Not included in the fee
- Transportation to/from the meeting point
- Insurance (please purchase travel insurance in your own country)
- Anything else not specified (The bank transaction fee shall be covered by the customer.)
About 4.5 hours
Age / Height:
12 yrs and above
Kami-hiramaru Bus Stop
(On Mizuhotto Community Bus Line, about 40 minutes from Arai Bus Terminal)
Kami-hiramaru Bus Stop
4 – 10 people
30 days in advance
|Meet at Kami-hiramaru Nakamura Bus Stop
|Greetings, explanations of history of Hiramaru Suge-zaiku and activities of the preservation committee
|Walk around Hiramaru community (including suge field)
|Explanation of the workshop
|Make a wreath with suge-grass, interact with committee member
|Temple visit and praying for wreath craft
|Finish at Kami-hiramaru Nakamura Bus Stop
■ Cancelation by the participant
- 5 to 7 days prior 20%
- 2 to 4 days prior 30%
- A day before 50%
- Same day/No show 100%
■ Cancelation based on provider’s decisions
- If stormy weather is forecasted, the activity may be canceled. In this case, contact will be made by the evening of the day before and there will be no cancelation fees.
- There is a chance the route may change due to the weather.
- If the weather becomes bad after the activity starts and it is determined that the activity cannot continue, the activity will be changed or canceled. In this case, no refund will be given.
- People with an allergy to sedge should not participate in wreath making. Please inquire in advance.
Interested in our tour?
No second thoughts, contact us.
We have been having many requests from agents overseas, mentioning that they are trying to expand their destinations in/to Japan or they have already but need help creating the itineraries for their clients to keep up with the demand.
Heartland Japan has increased the number of staff to accommodate these requests. If you are hand-full and need some advice, we are here to help.
For more information about this experience program, We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program. We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program and provide the program to you.
Please contact us for more information. We look forward to providing you with a unique and immersive experience in the region!
For this experience program, please inquire with our company each time. We will coordinate with local suppliers to arrange the schedule, fees, and detailed content for you. Please start by contacting us.
Look forward to a unique, immersive local experience!