Price: ¥ 14,200 above
- Live performance by Suginosawa locals, preserving the Harukoma tradition for future generations.
- Join in with the Harukoma performers to learn the song’s dances and beats.
Spend some time to interacting with members of the organization. Souvenir chopsticks commemorating Suginosawa’s rich forests.
The Harukoma (“spring horse”) song and dance of Suginosawa in Myoko City, is a traditional performance that has been passed down through the area’s generations for over 800 years, commemorating the arrival of spring each year after the long, snowy winter. The words of the song describe how we should all live life in our early years like a lively spring horse, then as we get older to be soft but resilient like the thread of a a silkworm. The performers wear a hood and a mask, and cheerfully bang household objects like rice paddles, brooms and soup bowls in a percussive way. The Harukoma had traditionally been performed at local weddings over hundreds of years to celebrate the future of the bride and groom, until the custom began to disappear in the middle of the last century. In order to protect and pass on this tradition in the local community, in 1996 the Harukoma preservation committee was officially formed. Now, the Harukoma has been officially designated as an intangible folk-culture property of Myoko city. Enjoy this opportunity to meet the Suginosawa locals who are conserving this colourful tradition for future generations.
- The activity will include 20 minutes of practice and 15 minutes of dancing with the members. Enjoy moving your body as much as you’d like.
- The organization members will teach you the simple dance and do it with you.
Myoko’s colourful Harukoma performances are a charming tradition that were wonderful to experience first-hand!
Price Per Person
14,200 JPY/person (Price differs by content of request)
Clothing/Wha to bring
- Clothes you can dance in
Included in the fee
- Guide fee
- Translator fees
- Performance and activity
- Interaction time
Not included in the fee
- Transportation to/from the meeting point
- Insurance (please purchase travel insurance in your own country)
- Anything else not specified (The bank transaction fee shall be covered by the customer.)
About 1.5 hours
Age / Height:
Suginosawa General Center
（10 minutes from Myoko-kogen Station on Echigo Tokimeki Railway and Shinano Railway）
Suginosawa General Center
4 person or above（please inquire）
30 days in advance
|Customer’s desired time
|Meet at Suginosawa General Center
|Harukoma history and preservation introduction (20 minutes)
|Harukoma performance (15 minutes)
|Dance performance together with group members (15 minutes)
|Interaction and exchange time (20 minutes)
|Finish at Suginosawa General Center
■ Cancelation by the participant
- 5 to 7 days prior 20%
- 2 to 4 days prior 30%
- A day before 50%
- Same day/No show 100%
■ Cancelation based on provider’s decisions
- If stormy weather is forecasted, the activity may be canceled. In this case, contact will be made by the evening of the day before and there will be no cancellation fees.
- Due to the schedule of the organization, the requested dates and times may not be available.
- The number of performers will be adjusted to the customer’s request (extra fee may apply).
- Depending on school schedules, local children may or may not be included in the performance.
- Please refrain from drinking alcohol during this activity.
Interested in our tour?
No second thoughts, contact us.
We have been having many requests from agents overseas, mentioning that they are trying to expand their destinations in/to Japan or they have already but need help creating the itineraries for their clients to keep up with the demand.
Heartland Japan has increased the number of staff to accommodate these requests. If you are hand-full and need some advice, we are here to help.
For more information about this experience program, We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program. We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program and provide the program to you.
Please contact us for more information. We look forward to providing you with a unique and immersive experience in the region!
For this experience program, please inquire with our company each time. We will coordinate with local suppliers to arrange the schedule, fees, and detailed content for you. Please start by contacting us.
Look forward to a unique, immersive local experience!