Price: ¥ 4,900 above
- Learn the story of the 3 generations of father, son, and grandchild working together to be successful at preserving kanzuri. Sample snacks prepared for your tasting.
- Enjoy the unique flavor of kanzuri, only found in Myoko, and tales of the struggles to protect the local tradition.
Kanzuri is a traditional, fermented seasoning used to warm up the body during the cold winters of Niigata. The recipe has been passed down through the generations for over 400 years. While each household had its own variation, the base is thick, red chili peppers that are preserved in salt. In Myoko, there is even a seasonal poem about the sight of kanzarashi – where the red chili peppers are scattered onto the white snowy ground to remove their harsh taste. However, with the arrival of modern conveniences such as refrigerators and supermarkets, the culture of making kanzuri was becoming lost. In order to preserve this traditional food, the Kanzuri company was established. Despite facing many challenges over the years, the Kanzuri company continues to develop various new kanzuri products and has a policy to only use peppers grown on its own farms or from contracted local farmers. These products are sold in shops all over Japan and overseas. Please enjoy the “hot” story of Kanzuri’s many challenges, and the “hot” taste of kanzuri!
Kanzuri is unique with a very interesting back story. It was also great to choose what I wanted to have with the seasoning during the tasting.
Price Per Person
Included in the fee
- Guide fee
- Translator fee
- Kanzuri tasting
Not included in the fee
- Transportation to/from the meeting point
- Insurance (please purchase travel insurance in your own country)
- Anything else not specified
(The bank transaction fee shall be covered by the customer.)
About 1.5 hours
Age / Height:
（20 minutes’ walk from Arai Station on Myoko Haneuma Line）
4 – 15 people
30 days in advance
|Customer’s desired time
|Meet at Kanzuri
|Learn the history and story of Kanzuri (40mins)
|Finish at Kanzuri
■ Cancelation by the participant
- 5 to 7 days prior 20%
- 2 to 4 days prior 30%
- Day before 50%
- Same day/No show 100%
■ Cancelation based on provider’s decisions
- If stormy weather is forecasted, the activity may be canceled. In this case, contact will be made by the evening of the day before and there will be no cancelation fees.
- Tour not available on weekends, holidays, or scheduled closed days.
- Kanzuri is a spicy seasoning. Please be careful if you are sensitive to spicy food.
Interested in our tour?
No second thoughts, contact us.
We have been having many requests from agents overseas, mentioning that they are trying to expand their destinations in/to Japan or they have already but need help creating the itineraries for their clients to keep up with the demand.
Heartland Japan has increased the number of staff to accommodate these requests. If you are hand-full and need some advice, we are here to help.
For more information about this experience program, We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program. We will coordinate with local suppliers on dates, prices, and details of the program and provide the program to you.
Please contact us for more information. We look forward to providing you with a unique and immersive experience in the region!
For this experience program, please inquire with our company each time. We will coordinate with local suppliers to arrange the schedule, fees, and detailed content for you. Please start by contacting us.
Look forward to a unique, immersive local experience!